LAST UPDATED: 04/20/2017
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person. Personal Information we may collect includes:
- postal address;
- telephone number; and
- email address.
Use of Personal Information
We and our service providers may use Personal Information:
- to respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters;
- to send administrative information to you, such as changes to our terms, conditions and policies, as well as promotional communications that we believe may be of interest;
- to complete and fulfill your transaction (e.g., to process your payment or donation, have your order delivered to you, communicate with you regarding your purchase or donation, and provide you with related customer service);
- to personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you;
- to allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information;
- to facilitate social sharing functionality; and
- for our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
- to our third-party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services;
- to third parties, to permit them to send you promotional communications, consistent with your choices
- to identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Services; or
- by you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and content (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose any information on these services.
Other Uses and Disclosures
We also may use and disclose your Personal Information as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable law, to respond to requests from public and government authorities, to cooperate with law enforcement or for other legal reasons; (b) to enforce our terms and conditions; and (c) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others. We may use, disclose or transfer your information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business or assets (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
Other Information We May Collect
“Other Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an identifiable individual. Other information we may collect includes:
- browser and device information;
- IP address;
- information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies; and
- demographic information and other information disclosed by you that does not reveal your specific identity or information that has been aggregated in a manner that it no longer reveals your specific identity.
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose.
Collection of Other Information
We and our service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function properly.
- Using cookies: Cookies are pieces of information stored directly on the computer that you are using. Cookies allow us to collect information such as browser type, time spent on the Services, pages visited, language preferences and other anonymous traffic data. We and our service providers use this information for security purposes, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, to personalize your experience while using the Services. We also gather statistical information about use of the Services in order to continually improve their functionality, understand how they are used and assist us with resolving questions regarding them.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Services to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- Using Adobe Flash technology (including Flash Local Shared Objects (“Flash LSOs”)) and other similar technologies: We may use Flash LSOs and other technologies to, among other things, collect and store information about your use of the Services. If you do not want Flash LSOs stored on your computer, you can adjust the settings of your Flash player to block Flash LSO storage using the tools contained in the Website Storage Settings Panel. You can also control Flash LSOs by going to the Global Storage Settings Panel and following the instructions (which may include instructions that explain, for example, how to delete existing Flash LSOs (referred to as “information” on the Macromedia website), how to prevent Flash LSOs from being placed on your computer without your being asked, and (for Flash Player 8 and later) how to block Flash LSOs that are not being delivered by the operator of the page you are on at the time). Please note that setting the Flash Player to restrict or limit acceptance of Flash LSOs may reduce or impede the functionality of some Flash applications, including those used in connection with the Services.
- IP Address: Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Services. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out by using the mechanism contained in each such email.
If you would like to update Personal Information that you have provided to us, you may contact us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
use of Services by MINORS
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that they not disclose Personal Information through the Services.
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States.
Pets in Need
871 5th Avenue
Redwood City, CA 94063
Because email communications are not always secure, please do not include credit card or other sensitive information in your emails to us.