Make a difference in animals’ lives by volunteering
Upcoming Volunteer Orientations:
Join us here at Pets In Need for a 1-hour volunteer orientation. You’ll learn the basics of our volunteer program and the different volunteer positions available, and have an opportunity to sign up for further training in your area of interest. Please click the links above to view more about our upcoming orientations and to register. Space is limited, so please register early!
Our amazing volunteers help in nearly every area of our shelter. We couldn’t do the work we do and save animals without the help of volunteers. If you’re ready to join a team of passionate, committed animal lovers who aim to make a difference, sign up to be a volunteer today.
- You must be 18 years or older to volunteer. For children and teens under 18, check out our Camp PIN Pals and Teen Shadow programs.
- We do not offer short-term volunteer opportunities for individuals. For info about corporate or other group volunteering opportunities, please visit our corporate volunteer page.
- Attend an orientation. You’ll learn the basics about our shelter, safety tips, and the roles available for volunteers. We’ll have you fill out a volunteer application to find out the area you’re interested in. Our upcoming orientations can be found above.
- Once you’ve attended an orientation, we’ll split you into small groups or give you a one-on-one training with a volunteer mentor based on your interest area.
- After a few training sessions, you’ll get put on our schedule and be set to work with our animals!
- Playgroup Monitor: Help dogs practice their dog-to-dog social skills and get some aerobic exercise. Plus, you get to learn more about the dogs, which helps their ability to get adopted faster.
- Enrichment Monitor: Provide animals with in-kennel enrichment to break up the monotony of kenneled life and lower their stress levels. This helps keep them healthy and allows them to put their best foot forward on the adoption floor.
- Dog TLC Companion (Socializer): Help our shy dogs come out of their shell by teaching them that human contact is a rewarding experience.
- Hiking Buddies: Become a single dog’s hiking buddy, taking that dog for one 1-3 hour hike per week until it is adopted.
- Dog Walker: Walk dogs to provide them with sensory stimulation and exercise them in the yard to keep them happy and healthy. There are different levels for this position, ranging from beginner to advanced.
- Clicker Trainer: Attend our weekend workshop series on clicker training, then take on an assignment to help one animal learn basic skills or overcome a problem behavior.
- Feline Friends: Help enrich the life of cats by engaging them in play and socializing them.
- Front Desk Assistant: Help with receptionist duties, answer phones, greet guests, do light filing, data entry, copying and other small projects.
- Animal Photographer/Videographer: Pet, camera, action! Take pictures and videos of our animals as needed for our website and media use.
- Community Outreach: Assist at adoption and other offsite events. Help by handling our adoptable animals and speaking to the public about Pets In Need, our animals, and programs.
- Foster Care: Care for kittens and puppies or animals with behavioral or medical needs in your own home. PIN will provide medical care, food, and other supplies. Learn more about our foster program here.
- Quarantine Volunteer: Receive specialized training to care for animals upstairs in our quarantine area.
For any questions, please email our volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.